Friday, September 9, 2011

Wild Turkeys


10-25-09
The temp is 70 degrees and sunny.  The water was up this week.  There is a sediment mark four feet above the water level.  The river was still a little higher than normal.  I headed upriver and entered the second lake canal.  I heard something stepping through the brush and saw three wild turkeys.  The first time I have seen turkeys on this part of the river.  They didn’t fly but walked away.  The canal was clogged with debris so I did not enter the lake.  I continued upstream to the little sand island that was almost underwater.  Only 2 square feet of sand remained above the water.  I landed at the big sand bar.  

          Earlier this weekend, I talked to representatives of Shelby Farms and the WRC.  There are plans to build a trail on the other side of the river along with two pedestrian bridges crossing the river.  I fear that the increased traffic will drive away wildlife.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home