Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Final Chapter of the Upper Wolf: Pipeline #5 to HWY 72

   

 The next morning rain was threatening. I could get a signal from the top of the hill, and a weather page showed a storm possibly bearing down on us. Luckily, it looked as if it would just edge us. After packing, we headed downstream towards the first beaver dam. It was already in the 70s and the sky was full of rows of slate blue and light gray clouds, ominous but beautiful. The Wolf was now a real river, within a definite channel and flowing with strength. The beaver dams were also larger, but most of them had breaks with waterfalls some of which were almost two feet high. After two or three dams, we reached the rock bluff. It was not as high as I expected but still impressive. There was even a small cave at the base. I was the only one to get out and climb it. There was even a small island next to the bluff. It would not have been a remarkable landmark on most rivers. However on the Wolf, it is the only known rock bluff.
     We crossed several logs and beaver dams. One of the dams split the river into dozens of different streams. They rejoined the river in an impressive cascade. A few miles later we passed an area that had been logged. It looked as over a hundred acres of trees had been cleared. Some of which were left lying in the mud waiting to be washed into the river by the next flood. We finally reach what John had described as the most beautiful swamp in the Southeast. I think he is right. We struggled to think of a name for it, but I couldn’t think of one. The area reminded me of a hybrid of the Ghost River and the grasslands of the Bateman section. It was mostly open marsh but studded with tupelo and cypress trees. The river snaked through it. There was a nice contrast between the green meadow and the bands of gray and blue clouds. Barren trees stood out against the sky.
The Wolf reentered the forest, and we reached the old 72 bridge. The wooden structure was partially dilapidated, but the creosote preserved the timbers. Most of the bridge was still intact. We continued downstream for the next three miles to HWY 72. During this time, we had to portage several logs and a few beaver dams. We also passed a field with several geese. Unfortunately, I began to get sick towards the end. I had been fighting a stomach virus all week, and my body finally gave into it. The last three miles were very difficult. It would have taken me much longer to finish if it were not for the help of Richard, Mike and John Henry. I have to give a special thanks to Richard, Mike, John and Dale for making this trip possible.
The wildlife sighted on this trip include deer, beaver, geese, bats, a salamander, at least four water moccasins, non poisonous water snakes, king fishers, great blue herons, wrens, sparrows, turkey vultures and some other stuff I forgot about. On a final note, the sections from Baker’s Pond/ Goose Nest Creek to HWY 72 are a wilderness area. There is a large variety of wildlife and very little trash, but it is harsh terrain. This part of the Wolf should only be traveled by experienced outdoors men/women. I do not care to return to most of this area. As they say in the exploring business, “My curiosity concerning this section of river has been satisfied”. That being said, I would like to paddle from pipeline #5 to HWY 72 again.  This section of river contains the highest beaver dam rapids, the rock bluff , a beautiful swamp and the old 72 bridge. I now consider it to be the best section of river. However, one needs a four wheeler to access the river at Pipeline #5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home