Dean's Chute
-->
9/29/2012
On a
Saturday afternoon in early autumn, John Henry and I decided to paddle upstream
on the Mississippi from the Shelby Forest boat ramp north to Dean’s Chute. The
skies were sunny but hazy with temps in the lower 80s. There was even a “sun
bow”, a shimmering halo around the sun. The water clarity was typical of the
Mississippi, as clear as mud. The wind was out of the north, which made
paddling upstream more challenging. I had not been on the water just for fun in
some time, and I reveled in the freedom of open water. My paddle tore into the
surface of the river and made good progress upstream.
We stayed close to the sand bar on
the left bank (left and right banks are determined by a person facing
downstream- an ancient law of the river) skirting the white sand on one side
and the power of the Mississippi’s current on the other side. The bank was not
a straight line but instead a series of bights, shallow bays. We traced the
shoreline hoping that each point would shield us from the north wind. It did
not but the protected water was free of the powerful river current. We had to
round several points before we could reach the straight that led to Dean’s
Chute. The surface around the points held curious patches of both flat water
and choppy water. If I moved to far out into the river, I could feel the
powerful current of the Mississippi pushing against my boat.
After a mile of upstream paddling, we entered
the bay with two chutes. Dean’s Chute on my right separated a treed island from
the mainland and a second chute separated the island from a sand spit. The sand
spit used to have a large wooden cross on the tallest sand hill. When we
entered the straight to Dean’s Chute, we were relieved to find that the island
provided protection from the wind. The chute appeared to be a straight, manmade
canal with trees lining each side. However, it is said to be a natural feature. Because of the low water, there was no
current in the chute. While watching a flock of migrating birds, we steadily
moved up the chute. We stopped on a sand
island in the middle of the chute to eat lunch. John explained that we were not
half way through yet.
The banks of the chute consisted of
crumbling clay bluffs and thick stands of brush. Beyond that, a hardwood forest
rose above us. We continued north through the chute until we reached a sandbar
that blocked the chute. The water was too low for passage. Except for a few
pools of water, we had hit dry land. We left our canoes to explore the sand
bar. In the distance, we could see an open space with a large sandbar. John
thought this might be the junction of another chute. While we explored, we
found an unusual pool. It was surrounded by an orange slime and there was
clearly a spring issuing from the center. We conjectured as to the nature of
the slime. We thought that it might be algae, bacteria or a mineral deposit. About 30 yards to the west, I noticed another
pool full of green slime. At first glance it appeared to be algae. However after
a closer look, I thought that it might be of an artificial origin. One pool of
orange and one of green, I hypothesized that they could even be the remnants of
channel markers. At this time, I do not know the true origin of the odd slime.
We returned to our boats and paddled back down the chute. I was glad that I
didn’t see much trash. However, I am troubled that there are fishermen who use
this area and leave their garbage behind.
We continued west into the setting sun and back to the Mississippi. I
stopped several times to take video of passing birds. This flock was similar to
the one before, except we were closer this time. I could not tell which species
of bird they were, but they flew in a curved arc with some of the flock
remaining in the middle. The formation looked like a bow and arrow. John
thought the birds might be storks. They were large birds, so this may be true. The
remainder of the float back to the ramp was quick thanks to the powerful river
current.
Labels: Mississippi River Dean's Chute storks north wind canoe hybrid paddle

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home