Hatchee RIver at Highway 51
9-28-13
Hatchee River at HWY 51
I
was looking for a change of venue so decided to try the river to the north, the
Hatchee. This river has the distinction of being the last “wild” river in West
Tennessee. Meaning that it has never been dredged. I put in at the Highway 51 Bridge.
The access is on the west side of the highway so I had to make a U turn to
reach the large dirt parking area and the adjacent concrete boat ramp. The
river appeared to be at a normal level. A gauge a short distance upstream read
below 9 feet. Of course the last time I was here, the river was very high and
flooding nearby fields.
Temps
were in the 80s with sunny skies. The river was the color of creamed coffee
with a very high turbidity. There was no water visibility, and swirl of muddy
water seemed to constantly rise from the river bottom. The Hatchee is about 300
feet across which is about three times the width of the Wolf, my usual river.
The
current was relatively slow compared to the Wolf. This made my progress
upstream easier than I expected. Being a natural river, there were plenty of
bends that I used to aide my movement upstream. I crossed the river channel constantly
to find the calm water of the inside of each curve. I passed several fishing
shacks most of which were abandoned, victims of the big flood a few years ago.
I also passed under a train trestle and was surprised to see that it appeared
to have been a rotating bridge at one time. I could see large gears now rusted
in place. It made me wonder what type of river traffic was historically on the
Hatchee to create the need for this special type of draw bridge. The railroad crossed over an island and I
continued on the left channel, which was actually my right since I was heading
upstream. Boats facing downstream
determine the right and left banks of the river, an ancient law of the river.
After
the bridge, I passed a stream with a drainpipe pouring water at a quarter of its
possible volume. A sign above read that it was treated water from the Covington
waste treatment plant. The area had a stale odor to it but not fetid like one
might expect.
Most
of the wildlife I saw consisted of turtles, red-eared sliders and a few soft-shelled
turtles. Bird life included king
fishers, a great egret, turkey vultures, red tailed hawks, and plovers. I stopped three times to rest on small
sandbars. These were the only sand bars I saw here as most of the bank
consisted of steep clay sides ranging from two to ten feet high. Because the
Hatchee is a medium sized river, I had to share it with motorized boats. I only
encountered one john boat with an out board engine. The operator was nice
enough to throttle back the engine so I wouldn’t be swamped by his wake. He
even asked me if I needed help. I think he was surprised to see someone
paddling upstream.
After
four hours of paddling upstream, I reached a lagoon that was about three miles
upstream of highway 51. I was surprised a couple of times by jumping carp and a
large gar that rolled to the surface next to my boat. The prehistoric like fish
was about half the length of my boat making it close to five feet long. After exploring the area, I floated back
downstream. I paused to take video of the red leaves of a small oak, the first
tree I noticed to have changed to its fall colors.
On
the return trip, I reached the island near the train trestle and tried to take
the right channel. However, it was blocked near its outlet by a log jam. I
turned back and took pictures of some of the cypress trees on the bank on the
trip back to the main channel. I was disappointed that I was thwarted in my
attempt to circumnavigate the small island. My failure turned out to be
fortunate, because I also found the remains of a gar in a tree about three feet
above the water that I had overlooked before. I saved the skull as a trophy of
the day’s paddle.
My
return trip took about two hours of constant paddling. Altogether, I paddled a
total of six hours with three short stops. At least on the Hatchee, the travel
formula is that it takes twice the time to paddle the same distance upstream as
it does to paddle with the current downstream.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home