Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Wolf RIver, upstream from the Germantown Bridge to Grays Creek




9/7/15
            After not finding any takers for a river trip, I decided to paddle upstream from the Germantown Bridge by myself.  Before my paddle, I met with Rod Wellington, Canadian author and adventurer, at a local coffee shop.  Our purpose for meeting was to for me to give him a copy of my first book, The Answer is ‘C’.  Rod had previously given me a copy of his book, Part-Time Superheroes Full-Time Friends, and I wanted to return the favor.  I acknowledge that it wasn’t an even trade since his book is twice as long as mine. 
            Our conversation started with my explaining the background of my book.  This included an explanation of the preparation for and taking of achievement tests.  Rod said that this wasn’t something they did in Canada at least not in his day.  The conversation drifted into the functioning of the local school systems, crime in America, race relations, and similarities and differences between the US and Canada.  Considering the crush of people, traffic, and crime, I would imagine to a Canadian the US must seem like a large, scary country.  Then it was my turn to ask questions.  I was most interested in how Rod supplied himself on long distance paddling trips.  He said it usually worked out.  He sometimes received lucky rides into town, but it is always a good idea to carry extra supplies.  Rod was the first person to paddle the Missouri-Mississippi River system from its source to the Gulf of Mexico.  I also asked about a small Canadian town know as Sudbury.  It has the reputation of being a completely miserable place so of course I’m interested in it.  Rod told a story of being trapped there because of car trouble.

            I started on the river at about 11:30.  The sun was high, and it was already hot.  Volunteers from the WRC and Fed Ex had recently improved the access at the Germantown Bridge.  So I decided to give it a try.  There was now a gravel drive that led to a gravel trail with steps made of timbers that provided access to a sand bar on the small creek that joins the Wolf about 20 yards downstream from my put in on the creek.  Obstructing logs have been removed from the creek, and it was relatively easy to access the river from here.  I headed upstream and under the bridge where I saw a little brown bat.  Unusual, I thought for the middle of the day.  A few paddlers passed me heading downstream.  I turned around to see a pair of kayaks following me about 50 yards back.  I was disappointed because I really wanted to be alone on the river.  I didn’t stop at the first sand bar because I wanted distance myself from the followers.  Even though they were in kayaks, which should be faster than my canoe, I began to distance myself from the other paddlers.  First by 100 yards then 200, and finally I rounded a bend and didn’t see them again. I took notice of how much the area had changed over the years.  There is now a parkway and bike trail on the left bank ( The right and left banks are determined by one facing downstream, an ancient law of the river).  A red-shouldered hawk landed in a birch tree near me.  I also saw a white tailed deer, which didn’t seem concerned by my presence.  When I was about 10 yards away, it slowly bounded into the dense woods.  Kingfishers were a constant sight.  I saw a pair chase each other, and one catch a small fish. 
            I continued paddling upstream in the heat past the neighborhoods on the border of Collierville and Germantown.  Finally, I reached Grays Creek.  This was a herculean feat for me as I had paddled upstream for 4 miles.  This is where the river channelization ends.  Upstream from this point, the Wolf is a natural river.  Meaning that this is where the channelization of 1959 ended. Upstream the river contains more twists and larger sand bars.  I stopped on the first one with shade.  It was at the confluence of the Wolf and Grays Creek.  I ate lunch under a birch tree, took pictures, and swam briefly.  I could feel small fish pecking at my legs.  I tried to take underwater pictures of them but the turbidity was too high to take a clear picture.  However, I could see the sand shoals on the river bottom in many places.  After resting, I floated back without seeing anyone.  I stopped on the sand bar nearest the bridge and looked for fossils.  I found a horsetail reed fossil with a hole in it.  I’m fortunate to have such a getaway as the Wolf in the middle of the city.

1 Comments:

At September 8, 2015 at 9:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Good job, great report of a double hitter for the day. Rod and paddle, that's quite a combo.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home